Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?

 Response: I have been a gifted kid since I was in elementary school. Because of this I have been labeled as a smart kid who is good at all of my subjects without really ever having to try. People have asked me questions in class because I have been labeled the "smart kid" and there have been many times where I just stare at them blankly because I don't understand the question. A lot of teachers just assume I should know everything and will get extra frustrated with me because I am somehow supposed to know these things and it makes me really dejected when I dont know because they seem disappointed in me.

Summary: We had an introduction to stereotypes.

Reflection: I thought it was not very fun to think up stereotypes for a bunch of different groups of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience.

If someone tried to understand you using only your race, what important things would that person miss? Describe at least three other parts of your cultural identity that help make you who you are.