In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience.
Response: Men are expected to dress a certain way that I could never really conform to. Fashion sense is usually reserved for women so a man adapting any sense of style, especially one like mine is seen as very feminine. Because of my sense of style many people have assumed I was a girl and told me that I must be a girm because of the way I dress. I have a wide variety of styles that I wear but I often get criticized for tucking in all my shirts and wearing my pants high waisted. Also since I dress semi-formal in my day to day I can get weird looks, especially from other men. Despite this I am very proud of my fashion sense even if it makes me feel a little ostracized from other men.
Summary: We read "Girl" and answered questions about it.
Reflection: I found this poem/passage a really interesting read. I think it portrayed expectations on women in a very engaging and unique style.
Comments
Post a Comment